This has every indication of not going well:
Jerusalem - Israel would resume operations in Lebanon if a United Nations force being assembled to deploy in the south of that country did not disarm Hezbollah guerrillas, the Jerusalem Post daily reported Wednesday, quoting 'an official in the prime minister's office.'
Well, Condi's saying the U.N. isn't going to do it:
WASHINGTON — The 15,000-member U.N. force being created for southern Lebanon will keep the peace and enforce an international arms embargo, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Tuesday, but it won't be charged with disarming Hezbollah guerrillas.
And the Lebanese Army says they're not going to do it:
The government said in a statement that only the army would be allowed to carry weapons in the area. "There will be no authority or weapons besides those of the state," Information Minister Ghazi Aridi said in explaining the decision. But the declaration skipped over the question of whether Hezbollah's weapons, many of them hidden underground, had to be removed or destroyed. Aridi said there would be no confrontation with Hezbollah fighters, who in any case do not carry weapons except in battle and often live in the border villages.
So it remains - what the hell was the last month-or-so all about?